In my head I have had a hierarchy of items I disseminate:
- Quick simple thoughts or forwarding of things to my coworkers via email.
- If it is a little more interesting also share (via email) with my consulting clients. (These are other RIA firms that have me on retainer for my perspective. If you are interested in this let me know.)
- If it is an item worthy of even broader distribution, email it via my “financial professionals” list at the end of the quarter.
- If I think it is a useful analysis of a topic, flesh it out into a blog post.
- If I think it is a really useful analysis of a topic, do a whitepaper (pdf) on it and put it on our web site.
In other words, I have always felt that a white paper is more important and permanent than a blog post, which in turn is more weighty than an email. I never felt most of my random musings and comments were blog-worthy, but rather reserved them for (ephemeral) emails.
But Michael Kitces has been
bugging encouraging me for a long time to put the content of the quarterly Financial Professionals email on this blog. So I have (finally). That email goes out the 15th of the month (or the next business day, if the 15th isn’t one) after the end of each calendar quarter (so January, April, July, and October). From now on I’m going to post that missive here too (on the first of the month following that date).
So, this being May 1st, here is the first one. I have uploaded the ones back to the beginning of last year as well. They were never intended to be permanently available on the web, but I hope you find them worthy!